Working as part of the professional Showjumping Yard supporting the Showjumper Keira Stoute, the Competition Groom will provide daily care to horses. They will travel with Keira and the horses to competitions both nationally and internationally including the European Longines GCT. Working under the instruction of the Yard Manager to ensure all the horses are prepared to compete. This role is also a driving role and will require an HGV License and 5+ years’ experience of transporting horses.
About the Role:
- General yard duties to include; feeding, mucking out, turning in/ out, making hay nets, preparing horses for exercise and all other tasks to maintain horse welfare.
- Preparing the lorry for competitions, ensuring all is ready including all equipment required for both the rider and the horse including fresh supplies such as water and feed. Vehicle maintenance checks.
- Ensuring the horses are event ready, including clipping, bathing, dressing and loading in the correct order to leave on time
- Clean & build tack as required at the competitions – checking for any faults.
- Assist the Athlete at competitions ensuring the horses are turned out to a high specification and presented on time.
- Ad hoc activities as requested by the Yard Manager and Rider.
- Health and Safety awareness.
- HGV license essential (5y experience preferred)
- Experienced in yard duties and competition grooming
- Team player – using the values to work together
- Resilient and decision maker, good sense of judgement in the moment
- Alert to both rider and horse requirements
- Confident in approach
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Takes pride in presentation and excellence.
- Willing to stay away at shows – sometimes for extended periods